Orange City Kids Organize Eighth Annual Charity Lemonade Stand
Neighborhood kids in Orange City started a charity lemonade stand seven years ago. Despite growing older and moving on to other activities, the stand is returning for the eighth time, and the Orange City community once again looks forward to rallying around the cause.
This year’s stand will be available on Friday, August 9, from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. and will be located on the corner of 2nd St. NE and Concord Ave. NE. Lemonade, slushees, bars, breads, fresh flowers, and more will be available for a free-will donation.
Tomorrow’s charity stand will raise money for two causes: the Orange City Habitat for Humanity home and school supplies for MOC-Floyd Valley and Orange City Christian schools.
One of the parents involved, Sarah Weber, took a look back at the past successes of the annual charity lemonade stand:
“In seven years the kids have raised a total of $4019.86 dollars!” she shared.
- July 23, 2012: First stand raised over $100 and bought groceries for the local food pantry.
- August 6, 2013: Stand raised $200, and someone matched funds taking the total to $400. School supplies were purchased for MOC-Floyd Valley.
- August 13, 2014: Stand raised $300 and bought supplies for Kids Connection and MOC-Floyd Valley.
- August 11, 2015: Stand raised $652.86 for the Sack Pack Program.
- August 3, 2016: Stand raised $664 for the Genesis House that was used to purchase a washing machine.
- July 27, 2017: $885 raised to purchase supplies and full school supply back packs for MOC-Floyd Valley and Orange City Christian schools.
- August 3, 2018: The stand raised $680 and with additional donations the total came to $1,048. The money was used to purchase 14 complete backpacks with supplies, crates of supplies for teachers at MOC-Floyd Valley and Orange City Christian School, and cinnamon rolls for the teachers for first day of school.
In a social post promoting this year’s event, Weber shared, “Thank you OC (Orange City) for being a great community and supporting these kids and their craziness!”